Gifted & Acceleration Education
Welcome to the Deer Park City School District Gifted Education website. This site will provide helpful information for families regarding identification procedures, service offered across our district related activities and resources to provide further support for parents and students.
Your ideas and suggestions are welcome. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Deer Park's Philosophy of Gifted Education
We believe that the gifted and talented program should provide special services to meet the individual needs of those students who possess unique learning abilities and talents. The program emphasizes the idea that giftedness is not a single dimension of ability but is a multi-dimensional concept. The program focuses on giving students the needed direction in helping them to recognize their specific abilities and to take responsibility for their learning and educational growth.
Level of Services:
- Consultation: The Gifted Intervention Specialist consults with classroom teachers regarding student needs, providing resources and suggestions related to supporting gifted students in the general education classroom.
- Clustering: Identified gifted students are clustered in general education classrooms so that appropriate instruction can be provided more effectively and efficiently.
- Advanced Math, grades 3-6: Identified students are brought together for Advanced Math instruction five days per week. Instruction is provided by the building gifted intervention specialist.
- Grades 7-12: Students engage in honors and AP level classes.
Gifted Identification takes place for all students in grades 2 and 5. All students in grades 2 and 5 will take part in both the Terra Nova tests and the InView tests.
- Terra Nova: This test identifies students for specific academic giftedness
- InView: This test identifies students for cognitive giftedness.
Parents, if you would like to have your child tested for gifted identification in grades not universally screened (grades 2 and 5), please do so by completing the Parent Referral for Gifted Form (online) or (print). Gifted testing requests will be completed within 90 days of written referral.
- Katrice Quitter, Gifted Coordinator
IMPORTANT NEWS & EVENTS
The Super Saturday Program
Free Parent Sessions Open to the Public. Go Here to learn more.