Welcome to the Holmes and Amity School Counselor Page!
Mrs. Katie Brown is the school counselor for Holmes Primary and Amity Elementary Schools. The role of a school counselor is to act as a helper, a coordinator, a resource, and a consultant. School counselors are not traditionally licensed to perform in depth therapy or provide diagnostic testing. Mrs. Brown works with all Holmes and Amity students during classroom guidance sessions. During these lessons, students learn about topics such as resiliency, goal setting, safety, courage, conflict resolution and self-confidence. Mrs. Brown also works with some students in small group settings and with individual students when the need arises. Students are welcome to see Mrs. Brown in her office, or leave her a note if she is not there. Parents and teachers can also refer students to Mrs. Brown by phone or e-mail.
How Can a School Counselor Help?
- Understand themselves and others
- Improve relationships with others
- Learn problem-solving strategies
- Handle difficult situations
- Develop appropriate behaviors
- Understand children and their development/behaviors
- Observe student behavior
- Develop resources for the classroom
- Facilitate communication between home and school
- Understand their child’s growth and development
- Provide parent education on relevant topics
- Develop strategies for intervening with difficult behaviors
- Provide referrals to outside professionals when needed
NEW for the 2014-2015 School Year: Kind Campus
The Ben's Bells organization offers a kindness education program called Kind Campus.
"Kind Campus is an innovative school-based outreach program that strives to educate students, families, faculty and staff about the benefits of kindness, and then empower them to create a culture of kindness in their school and beyond."
This year, students at Holmes and Amity will be learning and engaging in Kind Campus activities through their classroom guidance sessions. To learn more about Ben's Bells and Kind Campus, visit the Ben's Bells website.
Feel free to contact Mrs. Brown if you have questions, concerns, or comments regarding your child's education and experiences.
School Counselor for Holmes and Amity Elementary
Office Phone: 513-936-7832