Dr. Stace Orso
Dear Parents of Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School Students;
I hope your summer vacation is going well and you are finding time to spend with family and friends. We have been working hard to prepare for what is going to be a terrific year for your child(ren). I look forward to helping your child(ren) succeed here at Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. A special welcome goes out to our newest Wildcats, the incoming 7th graders.
With this school year comes a few changes with our staff. New staff members include Lilly Haniff, Jr. High Intervention Specialist; Ally Malkowski, 8th Grade Math Teacher and Joel Smith, Career Academies/Engineering Teacher. All of these individuals bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to Deer Park that will enhance the learning of our students. Also this year, Jason Sparks will be serving in a new role as our Dean of Students. I have no doubt that the students, parents and returning staff will welcome these individuals with open arms and show them the Deer Park way!
This email includes many pieces of information you are going to need to get the year off to a great start. Please take a moment to share this information with your child(ren) so he/she is aware of what is coming up the rest of this summer.
We will continue with the extended-core bell schedule for the Junior High. This schedule provides 7th and 8th graders with extended time in their core content classes. The majority of 7th and 8th grade students will receive their core content in the morning. After 4th bell, the Junior High bell schedule re-aligns with the High School schedule to accommodate elective offerings. Please click here for the Jr. High and High School bell schedules.
A couple of things to keep in mind regarding the daily schedule:
- The school day will be 8:10am - 3:00pm.
- Door will open at 7:00am for those students wishing to purchase breakfast.
- All students arriving prior to 8:05 will report to the cafeteria until the bell rings, releasing them to their lockers and class.
- There will still be seven bells.
Seventh Grade Orientation
Our Seventh Grade Orientation Program is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for both students and parents. Orientation will be held on August 30th, at 5:00pm in Crawford Auditorium. During that time you will hear about expectations for Deer Park Jr. High students, meet your child’s Student Services Team (administrators, counselor, and teachers), pick up your child’s schedule, and find your child’s locker and classrooms. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT EVENT – ALL SEVENTH GRADE STUDENTS AND PARENTS SHOULD PLAN TO ATTEND.
Dress Code Reminders
Dressing appropriately for school is important to overall success as a student. Please review the student handbook for specific dress code information. We are sharing this so you can be conscious of these standards as you shop for back to school clothes.
Junior High classroom supply lists are available on the Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School website. At the high school level, specific school supplies are driven by the courses taken. In other words, teachers will provide information about what you need for their class on the first day of school. All students should plan to bring a notebook and something to write with the first day.
Schedule Pick-Up and Changes
Schedules may be picked up in the Main Office of the Jr./Sr. High School on August 31st from 12:00-3:30pm. Our counselors will not be readily available during the month of August to make schedule changes. Therefore, the ability to change schedules now is extremely limited. Schedule changes will only be permitted in order to accommodate courses that may have been taken and passed over the summer or to add courses that are required for graduation. Counselors will be available when school begins to answer questions. All schedule changes must be accomplished within the first ten days of school.
Schoology and Final Forms
Please be sure your Final Forms is updated prior to your child starting school. There are a couple of new forms you will need to complete, as well as double checking your previously entered information for accuracy. You may click here to access the forms and get started.
Secondly, as a reminder, teachers use Schoology to keep grades and assignments up to date. Schoology’s platform offers a tremendous amount of information in a user friendly version. You will be able to communicate with your child’s teachers and check homework and grades through Schoology. If you need your Schoology login information, please contact the main office at 513-891-0010. *7th grade parents will receive their login information at orientation on 8/30.
Open House/Back to School Bash
We will be holding our Annual Back to School Bash on Friday, August 31st at 10:45 am on the front lawn of Amity Elementary School. Immediately following the Bash, we will hold our Open House from 12:30-3:30 pm at the Jr/Sr High School. This will give students and parents an opportunity to meet teachers, find classrooms and try out lockers. This Open House will replace our traditional evening Open House. Come enjoy some great food and meet your child’s teachers! We will also have computer stations set up during Open House for you to complete Final Forms and Schoology parent registration.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the attached flyer for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Text Messages.
- E-Mail: If you are not already signed up, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to www.deerparkcityschools.org
and click on the button on the left side of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”. From there, you will send an email requesting that you be added to future email communication from the district.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: Follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School.
- Text Messages: Through a great program titled Remind, we can provide text message alerts/reminders in a safe, confidential manner. Remind never shows a person's cell number, which means we never see your number and you never see ours. Standard text messaging rates do apply. To subscribe, send an individual text message to:81010 with the message @dpwildcats. Follow the instructions you receive via text message to complete your registration. Seniors also have a text messaging service. To subscribe, send an individual text message to: 81010 with the message @dpseniors.
- Instagram: Follow us at DeerParkHS and DP_Schools.
Upcoming Important Dates
- 7th Grade Orientation: Thursday, Aug. 30, 5 PM, Crawford Auditorium
- Student Schedules Available for pick-up: Friday, Aug. 31, 12-3:30 PM, Jr./Sr. HS Open House
- First Day of School: Tuesday, Sept. 4, 8:10 AM-3 PM, Jr./Sr. HS
- Picture Day: Monday, Sept. 17, During classes, Jr./Sr. HS
On behalf of the staff, we are looking forward to working with you and your child(ren) over the course of a great year at Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. This is the start of what we hope will be a tremendous experience – one that will prepare our students for a highly successful future.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to call or email the school. We will do our best to help.
Stace Orso, Ed.D.
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Achieving Excellence Together!