Deer Park to Dismiss Early on Monday, Aug. 21

Good afternoon Deer Park Families:

I hope that everyone is having a safe and restful weekend.  As I've continued to monitor the weather for tomorrow, the forecast shows very high humidity (near 70%)  and continued high temperatures (near 90 degrees).  This will make for very unpleasant and what I would consider near dangerous conditions inside our buildings for both our students and our faculty.  With this in mind, we are going to dismiss all buildings early tomorrow.  We will dismiss the Jr/Sr High School at 12:40 and Holmes and Amity Elementaries at 12:55.  By dismissing at these times, it will allow all of our students an opportunity to eat lunch and at the same time we will get them out of the buildings prior to the hottest part of the day. 

The Champions after school program at Holmes Elementary will be cancelled tomorrow.  All other after school activities, including the Holmes Elementary Kindergarten Preview, will continue as scheduled.  As a reminder, the early dismissal is due to the extreme temperatures that will be present inside of our non air conditioned buildings, most notably on the second floor of each building.  I apologize for the inconvenience this might cause in your schedules, but as always, student safety is our #1 priority.  

The after school shuttle from Holmes Elementary to the Howard Building will also be cancelled tomorrow.  Our bus drivers have other routes that they are covering at that time and they will not be able to run the shuttle.  If your child typically rides the shuttle, you will have to pick them up at Holmes Elementary tomorrow.

Please don't forget that tomorrow afternoon we will also be experiencing a partial eclipse here in the greater Cincinnati area.  The partial eclipse is supposed to peak at 2:29pm.  Please continue to talk to your children about the eclipse and remind them of the danger and the harm to their eyes that could happen if they look directly into the sun.  

I will continue to monitor the weather forecast through tomorrow evening to determine if I feel there is a risk to students and staff on Tuesday.  Right now the weather service is predicting lower temperatures on Tuesday with thunderstorms in the evening, so I'm hopeful we will be able to have school as normal on Tuesday.  However, if we decide it's necessary to dismiss early on Tuesday as well, I will try to do so by Monday evening to give our families as much of an advanced notice as possible.  

Have a great rest of your weekend,

Jay Phillips