March is Music In Our Schools Month!
What is Music in our Schools Month®(MIOSM)?
Each year in March, National Association for Music Education (NAfME) and Tri-M Music Honor Society Chapters across the country celebrate Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM). MIOSM helps to increase awareness and celebrate the many benefits of music education by engaging educators, students, and communities.
MIOSM began as a single day in New York in 1973 and eventually evolved into what is now known as Music In Our Schools Month in 1985. This year marks the 30th anniversary of MIOSM and it grows as a program every year!
Our Deer Park Music Staff
- Susan Blosser
- Elizabeth Tierney
- Joe Vetter
- Matt Suddendorf
Our Musical Ensembles and Upcoming Performance Dates
- March 9: Glee Club, Mixed Chorus, Show Choir at 7:30 PM in Crawford Auditorium (a pre-concert solo and ensemble recital will take place at 7:10 PM)
- March 10: Concert Band and Jazz Band at 7:30 PM in Crawford Auditorium
- March 12: 7th Grade Band and Choir at 7 PM in Crawford Auditorium
- March 12: 8th Grade Band and Choir at 8:15 PM in Crawford Auditorium
- March 19: Amity Fine Arts Night at 6:30-8:30 PM in the Amity Gymnasium (Performances by 6th Grade Band and Choir, 5th Grade, and 4th Grade)
- May 21: Holmes 1st Grade performance 6:30 PM in Crawford Auditorium
- The High School Choirs and Elementary Choirs have collaborated with the award winning Marching Band to perform the Star Spangled Banner at the opening of fall football games.
- The Deer Park Junior/Senior High School Ensembles continue to travel to perform for members of our community at Amber Park, Carriage Cour,t and Arden Court as well as perform at other professional performance venues such as Union Terminal, PNC Bank Downtown Cincinnati, and Fountain Square.
- Our Marching Band and Choirs have traveled to Disney and to Chicago IL.
- Our Bands and Choirs continue to receive Superior and Excellent Ratings at the Ohio Music Educators Association Contests such at Solo and Ensemble Contests Large Group Contest for Glee Club and Bands, and at State Marching Band Finals.
- 6th Grade General Music Students have composed pentatonic melodies
- 4th Grade General Music Students play fun games to reinforce beat and rhythm
- 2nd Grade General Music Students sing at the annual Veterans Day Program