Good afternoon Deer Park Families:
As we release our plans for the Reopening of Schools, I want to thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to submit their ideas, suggestions, and opinions through either our district-wide online survey, parent task force teams, and/or individual building leadership teams.
The process of reopening schools amidst a global pandemic is obviously not an easy one. Our goal as educators is to provide the highest quality education to our students, while also ensuring the health and safety of all students and staff.
Attached below is our plan to bring back both students and staff to school in a safe way this fall. Over the last several weeks, it became quite clear early on that there would be NO perfect plan. I want to let you know that the plan we are releasing today is a living, breathing document that is subject to change based on the latest research, data, and guidance from the Governor's Office, the Ohio Department of Health, and the Ohio Department of Education. The plan could also change based on the recommendations of Deer Park staff and Deer Park families.
Key Highlights and Takeaways of the Plan:
- The school calendar for students will change slightly. Please see page 2 of the attached Reopening Plan for more details.
- There will be two options for school this fall. Students/families can choose to come back to school full time, 5 days per week or you can choose a fully online option. Please see the plan for more details.
- Students will be required to wear masks entering and exiting the buildings, while transitioning in the hallways, and while working directly with the teacher and other students inside of the classrooms. Masks are "highly recommended" in the classrooms when students are working individually and minimum social distancing can be achieved (3 feet). Teachers also have the autonomy to require masks at all times in their classrooms if they choose.
Some Additional Items for Parents to Consider This Fall:
- Have a plan in place in the event cases of Covid-19 spike and our schools are required to close. We may be forced to quickly shift to remote learning.
- Have a plan in place if your child becomes sick at school. They will need a ride home immediately and may be required to stay home for an extended period of time.
- Perform daily health screenings of your child - including daily temperature checks. Any student that has a temperature of 100+ degrees will not be allowed at school.
Please be sure to read both documents. The first document is our Reopening Plan and will outline the plan for you. The second document is our Reopening Plan Details and will outline the responsibilities of all parties including students, parents, and staff members.
Thank you in advance for your flexibility and understanding as we enter a school year full of unknowns. We will all do our best and together we will get through this.
Deer Park Schools