Remote Learning Starts Tomorrow
As I'm sure you know by now, our in-person students at Deer Park begin remote learning starting tomorrow and continuing through Friday, November 6th.
An email went out with more details on Friday, and here is a link to that release in case you missed it. Tomorrow starts our first "Odd Day," a day in which students will only be logging in virtually to their odd-numbered bells. The remainder of the Even/Odd days are as follows:
Odd Days: Bells 1, 3, 5, and 7 will "Meet"
- Mon. 10/26, Wed. 10/28, Tue. 11/3, Thu. 11/5
Even Days: Bells 2, 4, and 6 will "Meet"
- Tue. 10/27, Mon. 11/2, Wed. 11/4, Fri. 11/6
Please again note that there are no classes Thursday 10/29 and Friday 10/30 due to conferences.
Students will "meet" virtually for 85 minute blocks each day. Note that the time blocks are the same on each day.
1st Bell: 8:10 am - 9:35 am
3rd Bell: 9:45 am - 11:10 am
Lunch: 11:10 am - 12:00 pm
5th Bell: 12:00 pm - 1:25 pm
7th Bell: 1:35 pm - 3:00pm
2nd Bell: 8:10 am - 9:35 am
4th Bell: 9:45 am - 11:10 am
Lunch: 11:10 am - 12:00 pm
6th Bell: 12:00 pm - 1:25 pm
XBell: 1:35 pm - 3:00pm
Please see the section below for tips and suggestions to help your student stay connected and on track over the next two weeks.
Have a great week, and please reach out to any administrators, counselors, and teachers with any questions.
Principal, Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
Suggestions for Remote Learners & Families
1. Establish a Daily Schedule: Set alarms/reminders using phones and calendar reminders to ensure that students are logging on at the start of each class. Use the Schoology App or a Google Calendar App to help set these reminders.
2. Establish a Location: As best as possible, find a comfortable, consistent, and quiet location to help maintain focus throughout the day.
3. Establish Healthy Habits: Have a snack in between classes, eat breakfast, and maintain consistent sleeping routines. While it can be tempting to stay up late, remember that students will still need to be attending classes each day from 8:10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
4. Establish Check-Ins: Without being in person, it may be easier for students to fall behind or forget assignments. Use Schoology, calendars, and even good old fashioned paper and pencil to keep track of assignments and due dates. Be sure to check every few days to ensure that students are staying up to date, and parents/caretakers should ALWAYS feel free to reach out to teachers with any questions.
The PreACT will again be rescheduled, due to the move to remote learning this week.
COUNSELOR'S CORNER: Here is a link to this week's Counselors' Corner!
COUNSELORS' CORNER, VIRTUAL EDITION: Our counselors have created a special Counselors' Corner for our virtual students. Please click here for that version!
APEX LEARNER, EXTRA ACTIVITIE: Please see the links below for the weekly activities for our online students:
Remote Learning Orientation and Video
Middle School Links and Extra Activities
High School Links and Extra Activities
In Case You Missed It
CONFERENCE INFORMATION: Virtual Conferences will take place on the following dates/times:
- Thursday, October 29th from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 30th from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Zoom Meeting Links will be sent out tomorrow (Monday, Oct. 26th) through another email.
To sign up for conferences, please follow this link to My Conference Time.
The 7th Grade, 8th Grade, 9th Grade, and 10th Grade teams will hold "Team Conferences" for students in those grades. These are for the 4 core classes (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies). All elective teachers and teachers for 11th and 12th grade students will be available for individual conferences.
Please reach out to your student's teacher, the counselors, or administrators with any questions.
DEER PARK CATS COALITION PARENT INFORMATION: The Deer Park C.A.T.S Coalition is looking for Deer Park community members from a variety of sectors interested in preventing youth substance use/misuse. C.A.T.S. is our Coalition Advocating for Teen Success. Please see this flier for more information!
FREE MEALS OFFERED BY DEER PARK BRANCH OF THE HAMILTON COUNTY LIBRARY: For more information, please click here!
WEST POINT SOCIETY LEADERSHIP & ETHICS SEMINAR: Every year, the Greater Cincinnati Leaders of Character Initiative presents the Chuck Ausman West Point Society Leadership and Ethics Seminar for sophomores and juniors around the area. Deer Park High School is able to send up to 4 students this coming year to the event held on February 5th, 2021. If you are interested in nominating your student, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please see this document. Please send your nominations to me by December 3rd, and we will send in the nominations to the West Point Society.
REMOTE LEARNERS MATH ASSISTANCE: Starting this week, High School math teachers will be available to assist our remote learners. Math Homework/Help Club is held every day after school, and the schedule is below. If a student is interested in getting help with online math, please contact the teacher below based off availability. The teachers can then work with students to set up remote learning assistance:
Monday: Mr. Marsh: email@example.com
Tuesday: Ms. Deller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday: Mr. Gabbard: email@example.com
Friday: Mr. Benjamin: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR ART, ESSAY, AND MEDIA CONTEST: The Ohio Civil Rights Commission is pleased to announce its annual statewide Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Art, Essay & Multimedia Contest. This contest is intended to encourage students to reflect upon Dr. King’s life, philosophy, and impact on the Civil Rights Movement and present day America. It is meant to challenge students to think about how civil rights and diversity affect their lives and how they can continue the work of Dr. King in their own way. For more information, please see this link.
LOOKING FOR PREVIOUS WILDCAT WEEKLY EMAILS?
Wildcat Weekly are posted on the Deer Park Schools News webpage. Here is a link to our District News Page.
Upcoming Dates to Know
Thursday, October 29th & Friday, October 30th: Conferences (No School)
Tuesday, November 3rd: Election Day and Remote Learning Day for ALL STUDENTS. Due to Deer Park Jr/Sr High School being a voting location, we will not be holding class in person on November 3rd. This day will be set up similar to our Remote Learning Wednesdays in the first part of this school year.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the attached flyer for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Text Messages.
- E-Mail: If you are not already signed up, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to www.deerparkcityschools.org and click on the button on the left side of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”. From there, you will send an email requesting that you be added to future email communication from the district.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School