Dear Deer Park Families:
As we near the end of the second quarter and begin the holiday break, I would like to thank you for your support so far this school year.
As I mentioned in October—and again in a video message last week—beginning in January, we will be transitioning to masks being optional. We will also be transitioning to new COVID-19 quarantine guidelines regarding student quarantines. These guidelines are designed to help keep students in school and reduce long-term quarantines out of school for students who are deemed to be close contacts to COVID-19.
Below, you will find our updated policies regarding changes to masking, quarantine policies, and extracurricular activities. These decisions were all made based on updated Ohio Department of Health policies regarding vaccinations and quarantines.
Facial Coverings / Masks
Individuals are permitted to wear masks in school buildings and at school-related events, but it is no longer a mandatory requirement. Masks are optional, however:
- We strongly recommend any unvaccinated individual to consider wearing a mask.
- The district will continue to make masks available for any individual that requests one during the school day.
- Per federal regulations, masking is still required on school buses.
The following practices will continue within our school buildings:
- Frequent hand washing routines;
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout each school building and inside our classrooms;
- Thorough cleaning practices, including school buses and cafeterias;
- The use of hands-free water bottle filling stations;
- Continuing to urge families to monitor their child’s health every day;
- Stay home when sick.
We will continue to be responsible and respectful as we transition from required masking to masks being optional.
Vaccinations & COVID-19 Protocols
Mask to Stay
- Regardless of vaccination status or masking, those who are deemed to be a close contact to COVID-19 from INSIDE the school setting are no longer required to follow standard quarantine rules and may remain in school IF the following criteria* are met:
- Wear a mask to school for 10 days from the exposure;
- Parents monitor their child's symptoms at home;
- Exposed person isolates if symptomatic
*This only applies to students who were exposed within the school setting.
Test to Play
- Those who have been deemed to be a close contact to COVID-19 and are participating in extracurricular activities who are asymptomatic can continue to participate in after-school extracurricular activities if they:
- Test as soon as they are notified following exposure;
- Wear a mask when reasonable such as riding on a team bus, locker room, sitting or standing on sidelines;
- If a student tests again between days five (5) and seven (7) and tests negative, they can discontinue masking. The test can be a PCR or antigen test. The test cannot be an over-the-counter test that is entirely self-administered.
I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays and we are looking forward to welcoming your children back for the start of the second semester on Tuesday, January 4!
Deer Park Schools