Academic Content Standards and Evaluation Instrument
In June of 2010, SB 210 was signed into law. One component of this legislation is to establish a measure of student success in meeting the benchmarks contained in the Physical Education Academic Content Standards.
The State Board of Education adopted the following National Association of Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) standards in December 2007 and benchmarks and indicators on June 8, 2009.
Ohio’s Academic Content Standards in Physical Education are made up of six standards:
- Demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Demonstrates understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
- Participates regularly in physical activity.
- Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Exhibits responsible personal behavior and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
- Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
Resource: Ohio Department of Education