Preparing for the next steps after high school can seem daunting. This section will provide useful information, presentations, and links for those wanting to continue their education after high school. However, parents and students are advised to also check out Naviance Family Connections for the most up-to-date scholarship lists and resources. As always, please feel free to contact your students' CCR Counselor for further information and details.
Please continue to check this page for future info about college events! The events are also shared out via Naviance!
- Paying for College Info: Go HERE for info about scholarships, financial aid, and student loans.
- Medical Assistant Info: Looking to work in this field. Check out the information found HERE.
- Accredited Colleges Data Based: Search HERE for a list of 3,539 accredited learning institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and other accreditation agencies.
Want to Reduce the Cost of College?
The John Baylor College Prep Show: Along with implementing a new ACT Test prep program at DPHS, we want to make you aware of the other college planning resource. Go HERE to see the webisodes!
Also, consider the following:
- Earning course credit through Prior Learning Assessments (PLAs):
- Guide to selected online programs in a range of subject areas (e.g. Accounting, Engineering, etc.) from reputable schools, with low cost per credit hour.
- Over 10,000 words of advice and insights into competency-based education. MOOCs, PLAs and other independent-learning opportunities are becoming the new "course credits," and that all students (regardless of age!) can earn a quality degree at an affordable price.
More Planning Resources?
Looking for an online college? Consider the following:
- 2 College Tips in 2 Minutes Videos
- Guide to Online Colleges in Ohio
- Affordable Online Colleges
- Cost of Online Colleges
- MoneyGeek - Finding the Right Online College
- Accredited Online Colleges
Best Colleges: http://www.bestcolleges.com/ is an online website that will help you search for colleges that match your goals.
A guide to higher education in Ohio and other college resources on OEDb.org. Go here: http://oedb.org/ohio/
CollegeXpress: Lots of different resources available for college exploration can be found HERE.
I'm First is an organization that seeks to bring free college counseling to first-generation college-bound students across the country through InstaEDU. All registered students on ImFirst.org—nonprofit Center for Student Opportunity's online community providing first-generation, low-income college students with inspiration, information, and support on the path to and through college—are eligible to receive two free hours of on-demand college counseling on InstaEDU. Go to Imfirst.org for more information.
Zinch is a free service for college-bound high school students looking to find and pay for best-fit colleges. Go to Zinch.com for more information.
Financial Aid Night
You can also follow this link to learn about affordable online colleges and unversities.
You can also get access to information that was presented at last year's College Goal Sunday event.
Academic Planning at DPHS
These links will help guide the student and family toward being fully prepared for college. Students should be accomplishing specific tasks at different grade levels in order to have a well-rounded college application ready for submission. Please click the links below for this important information.
Click on the topic headings listed below to be taken directly to that section:
Applying for College
Important Forms & Websites
Parents and Students,
Students receive information on current scholarships via their Naviance Family Connections account. Their account is the most updated reference point. If you are curious as to what is available, please ask your student to log in with you.
Note: Scholarships are available via Deer Park Board of Education. Interested seniors can obtain copies from Mr. Hubbard or Ms. Madden
RETURN TO TOP
Applying for College
Many colleges and universities use the Common Application for their admissions process (this should be confirmed by the student when considering a specific college or university). Click on the links below to read about the Common Application and be directed to the Common Application Website.
RETURN TO TOP
Important Forms and Websites
The links below will provide you with forms and lists to assist with the college planning process.
- Requests for Transcripts
- Scholarship Information
- Planning a College Visit Info and the required College Visit Form
- Profile for DPHS
- Campus Tours
- Internet Resources - Various links containing college planning information
RETURN TO TOP