Dear Parents/Guardians of Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School Students,
I hope you have had a great and rejuvenating summer! As I transition from the role of Associate Principal to Principal this year, I’m excited about the opportunities that lie before us as we enter into the 2019-2020 school year. We have an incredible staff of teachers and support personnel dedicated to building our “H3 Culture” here at Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School, and our staff is working hard to create opportunities for each student’s success this year.
A Quick Note on “H3”
As you may or may not know, “H3” is our Cat Core Characteristics in our building. H3 stands for: Help Others, Help Your School, and Help Yourself. Our classrooms and hallways have signs that help us define what each of these categories mean, and you may have even received an H3 Post Card in the past that defines H3 this way:
- Help Others: Promote a positive and respectful culture by encouraging others and showing acts of kindness.
- Help Your School: Seek opportunities to be involved in school activities and to actively serve others.
- Help Yourself: Prepare for success by setting goals for yourself, completing assignments on time, and seeking help when needed.
We will continue to work with our staff and our students to find ways to promote and embody these core characteristics throughout the school year!
We have some amazing new teachers joining the Deer Park family this year! These teachers come with great experiences that will continue to shape our students’ lives in positive and impactful ways. Our new staff members are: Alexandria (Alex) Adler, 9th Grade Math; Pat Bauer, Band Director; Brian Davison, Junior High Special Education, Robert Jones, Advanced Manufacturing; Marseille Mosher, Sports Medicine; Amy Parker, High School Science, Mindy Robertson, Assistant Principal, and Sarah Snow, H3 Academy Instructor/Therapist.
The rest of this email includes many pieces of information you are going to need to get the year off to a great start. Please take a moment to share this information with your student(s) as well!
Our Junior High students will have a slight change to their bell schedule as compared to last year. While almost all students will still receive longer core class-times, we have built in an extra block for core classes. This allows us to reduce class sizes, thus creating more opportunities for individual students to receive individual attention from teachers. We will also continue to have our “Extra Learning Time” (ELT), but this has been moved to after the students’ lunch. This allows a natural break in the day for students to receive extra help as needed from various teachers.
Please click here for the Jr. High and High School bell schedules.
A couple of things to keep in mind regarding the daily schedule:
- The school day will be 8:10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Doors will open at 7:00 a.m. for those students wishing to purchase breakfast.
- All students arriving prior to 8:00 a.m. will report to the cafeteria until the bell rings, releasing them to their lockers and class.
- There will still be seven bells.
Back to School Orientation and Chromebook Handout
This year, we are beginning our One to One student Chromebook initiative. Though these Chromebooks will be property of the school, all students will receive a Chromebook to personally use not only at school but also at home. More information can be found using this link.
On August 8th, we will host a Back to School Orientation night, where students and parents/guardians should come to receive further information and to pick up their individual Chromebooks! In addition to Chromebook pick-up, the following stations will also be at our Orientation:
- Laptops for parents to complete Final Forms. NOTE: We are asking that all students and parents complete Final Forms before receiving the student Chromebook. Final Forms must also be completed for any student to go on a field trip throughout the school year and to attend school dances. Please contact the main office (513-891-0010) with questions about Final Forms.
- Student schedule pick-up. Parent Schoology Access Codes will also be available that evening. Codes will remain the same if you have previously created an account.
- Fee payment stations. Fees may be pain online through the EZPay link (beginning August 1st) on the district website, or may be paid in person by cash or check.
- And...free Kona Ice!!! Thanks to our PTO for supporting us this evening!
- PLEASE NOTE: Some of you may have received information that school pictures will take place this evening. Pictures WILL NOT take place on August 8th. Pictures will take place on August 19th during the school day. More information to come.
The schedule for the evening is as follows:
- 6pm-7pm: 7th and 8th grade families arrive.
- 7th Grade Families: Meet in the auditorium from 6:00-6:30 p.m.; Chromebook pick-up and stations from 6:30-7:00 p.m.
- 8th Grade Families: Chromebook pick-up and stations from 6:00-6:30 p.m.; Meet in the auditorium from 6:30-7:00 p.m.
- 7pm-8pm: 9th and 10th grade families arrive.
- 9th Grade Families: Meet in the auditorium from 7:00-7:30 p.m.; Chromebook pick-up and stations from 7:30-8:00 p.m.
- 10th Grade Families: Chromebook pick-up and stations from 7:00-7:30 p.m.; Meet in the auditorium from 7:30-8:00 p.m.
- 8pm-9pm: 11th and 12th grade families arrive.
- 11th Grade Families: Meet in the auditorium from 8:00-8:30 p.m.; Chromebook pick-up and stations from 8:30-9:00 p.m.
- 12th Grade Families: Chromebook pick-up and stations from 8:00-8:30 p.m.; Meet in the auditorium from 8:30-9:00 p.m.
Any parents of students in multiple-grade levels need only attend one session.
We are looking forward to seeing all of our students and families this evening!
Dress Code Reminders
Dressing appropriately for school is important to overall success as a student. Please review the student handbook for specific dress code information. We are sharing this so you can be conscious of these standards as you shop for back to school clothes.
Junior High classroom supply lists are available on the Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School website. At the high school level, specific school supplies are driven by the courses taken. In other words, teachers will provide information about what you need for their class on the first day of school. All students should plan to bring a notebook and something to write with the first day.
Schoology and Final Forms
Please be sure your Final Forms is updated prior to your child starting school, and, as mentioned above, before receiving his/her Chromebook. There are a couple of new forms you will need to complete, as well as double checking your previously entered information for accuracy. You may click here to access the forms and get started.
Secondly, as a reminder, teachers use Schoology to keep grades and assignments up to date. Schoology’s platform offers a tremendous amount of information in a user friendly version. You will be able to communicate with your child’s teachers and check homework and grades through Schoology. If you need your Schoology login information, please contact the main office at 513-891-0010.
Open House/Back to School Bash
We will be holding our Annual Back to School Bash on Monday, August 12th at 11:00 am on the front lawn of Amity Elementary School. Immediately following the Bash, we will hold our Open House from 1:00-2:00 pm at the Jr/Sr High School. This will give students and parents an opportunity to meet teachers, find classrooms and try out lockers. Come enjoy some great food and meet your child’s teachers! We will also have computer stations set up during Open House for you to complete Final Forms and Schoology parent registration, and parents can also pay fees at this time.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the attached flyer for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Text Messages.
- E-Mail: If you are not already signed up, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to www.deerparkcityschools.org and click on the button on the left side of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”. From there, you will send an email requesting that you be added to future email communication from the district.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools, @dpcounselor, and @DP_Athletics
- Facebook: Follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School.
Text Messages: Through a great program titled Remind, we can provide text message alerts/reminders in a safe, confidential manner. Remind never shows a person's cell number, which means we never see your number and you never see ours. Standard text messaging rates do apply. To subscribe, send an individual text message to:81010 with the message @dpwildcats. Follow the instructions you receive via text message to complete your registration. Seniors also have a text messaging service. To subscribe, send an individual text message to: 81010 with the message @dpseniors.
Upcoming Important Dates
- Back to School Orientation: Thursday, Aug. 8th - Please see schedule above for specific times
- First Day of School: Tuesday, Aug 13th
- Picture Day: Monday, Aug 19th - During the school day. More information to come
Thank you for reading through this email in its entirety! On behalf of the Deer Park Jr/Sr High School staff, I’d like to express our enthusiasm for this new school year! The Deer Park Community/City Schools mission is to “Inspire and Empower Lifelong Success.” With your help, we look forward to carrying out this mission together in 2019-2020.
Principal, Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success