Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School Wildcat Weekly: January 22, 2023
A Message from the Principal
Hello Deer Park Families! Happy Sunday!
We had another great week at Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School, as the third quarter is starting to hit its stride! Now is a great time to be taking a look at your student’s grades and checking in on their progress. I’m sure there are a lot of positives to celebrate; and in the event that some things may be slipping in one area or another, there is still plenty of time in the quarter to right the ship. Make sure and reach out to their teachers if you have questions.
One highlight of the week for me was filling in to cover Mrs. Parker's Physics class for part of the class time! Three things came to mind while I was there:
- How complex a lot of the high school classes are.
- How smart our kids are, as they took this complex formula that Mrs. Parker gave them and used it to solve the problems.
- How blessed we are with great teachers! Mrs. Parker walked the students through how to use the formula to answer the problems. She broke the steps down for the students in a way that they understood and were able to apply what they had learned.
It was a great experience to sit in and observe!
John Vander Meer
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
The main focus in school is academics and preparing our students for success when they graduate.
We believe that for our students to achieve success, they also have to have fun, be rewarded for good behavior, and create lasting memories throughout their school years. For our Junior High students, this happened on Friday. Any student who did not have any grade lower than a “C” during the second quarter, received no referrals, and had three or less absences, earned the opportunity to go to Perfect North for a day of tubing.
The kids had a blast, they “Rep The Park” in a manner we all can be proud of, and created those memories. It was a great day to be a Wildcat! Also, a big shout out to the staff who went with our students. I really think they had more fun than the kids did!
Parents of Students in Grades 9, 10 & 11
Planning for the scheduling process for the 2023-2024 school year is underway. It is important that you and your student understand the different pathways for graduation and what classes they need to stay on track. Make sure you read the counselor's corner each week to stay on top of all scheduling information. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Spelic or Ms. Madden.
AS A REMINDER….
Students are not allowed to use their own devices (laptops/tablets) at School. Please review our Acceptable Use Policy with your Student.
(Excerpt from the Student Handbook)
DEER PARK STUDENT NETWORK AND INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
- Use of the internet is a privilege, not a right. The Board’s Internet connection is provided for educational purposes only. Unauthorized and inappropriate use may result in disciplinary action and a cancellation of this privilege. To Access email and/or the Internet at school, students under the age of eighteen (18) must obtain parent permission by returning the form that was sent home at the beginning of the year. Students eighteen (18) or over may sign their own forms.
- Users may not damage, destroy or deface computers or other technology tools.
- Users may not share usernames or passwords or attempt to impersonate another user.
- Users may not use threats, coercion or intimidation via electronic messaging.
- Users may not use profanity, vulgarities, racial slurs or any other inappropriate language.
- Users may not download or install software of any kind, including freeware or shareware without prior consent of the technical staff.
Users may not use personal devices at school without prior consent of the administration.
Check out important info from the guidance office by clicking the link below.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar:
- Girls 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Wyoming: Monday, Jan. 23 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Boys 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Taylor: Wednesday, Jan. 25 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Boys 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Mariemont: Monday, Jan. 30 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Boys JV/Varsity Basketball vs. Madeira: Tuesday, Jan. 31 | 6/7:30 p.m.
- Girls 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Madeira: Wednesday, Feb. 1 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Boys JV/Varsity Basketball vs. Indian Hill: Friday, Feb. 3 | 6/7:30 p.m.
In Case You Missed It
2nd Quarter Honor Roll
Congratulations to all of our 2nd Quarter Honor Roll Students. We are very proud of all the hard work our students put in to excel in their academics. Great job of representing The Park!
OMEA Honor Band Festival
Last weekend, over 180 of Cincy's finest musicians gathered at Princeton Varsity Village for the 2023 OMEA district 14 Honors Band Festival. Deer Park was very well-represented, sending the most students from our school in more than 30 years!
Students prepared music over an intense, short timeline, with guest conductors from across the Midwest, culminating in a concert Sunday afternoon.
Congratulations go to the following fine musicians for their talent and commitment to the Fine Arts:In grade 8: Ella Corum and Abby Spangler In grade 7: Finn Borer, Johnny Felix, Riley Miller, and Savannah Brookbank. Deer Park is PROUD of you!
- Need some extra math help? The math department is available for support M-W after school:
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Need other academic help after school? We have homework club after school M-F from 3-4 p.m. at these days/locations:
- Wednesday: Ms. Troxell, Rm 58
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Wednesday: Mr. Moore, Rm 155
- Thursday: Ms. Taylor, Rm 252
- Need some academic help? Morning Intervention is available all year for students to come in for extra help from teachers on Thursdays at 7:35am. Students also have a daily “extra help” bell during the day to meet with their teachers.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the links below for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Newsletters: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Wildcat Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
- Instagram: follow us at DPHS Principals
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success