Deer Park Jr/Sr High School Wildcat Weekly: January 29, 2023
A Message from the Principal
Hello Deer Park Families! Happy Sunday!
In our staff meeting the other day I told our teachers January and February are like the dog days of school. Very few breaks, very little sunshine, and very cold. But in our classrooms I saw students engaged in their learning and our teachers on top of their game!! We are truly blessed in The Park!! We have outstanding young adults walking these halls each and every day and a great staff leading them!!
John Vander Meer
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Just like the Genius Bar at the Apple store, the students in Mr. Hills’ Digital 101 class became geniuses of Schoology! They created presentations for students, parents, and others to learn more about Schoology. Some of the presentation requirements included how to check grades, find upcoming assignments, proper use of the calendar, joining groups, and using messages as a form of communication.
Another challenge with this project was to work in groups with some of their peers. For many students projects can be difficult but to include a “group” component can add a new level of pressure. Overall, the students did an amazing job and many of our audience members were thoroughly impressed. It also didn’t hurt that the students earned themselves donuts for a job well done!
Our students continue to shine in so many ways. Did you know we have an outstanding girls and boys bowling team? I went to Madison Bowl this week and watched both teams compete. Not only were they having a really good time, they were really good. Bowling is fun to watch, fast paced and very competitive.
Band Shines at OMEA Solo & Ensemble Contest
Congrats to all members of the Deer Park Band on their participation in the OMEA solo and ensemble contest at Anderson HS on Saturday, January 28, 2023. Every Deer Park student earned either an excellent or superior rating!
- Weylon Adams: trumpet solo, Superior rating
- Iris Wiley: trumpet solo, Superior rating
- Zyan Martin: trombone solo,Superior rating
- Cordell Wooten: tuba solo, Excellent rating
- Bobbie Shoemaker: bass clarinet solo, Excellent rating
- Deer Park Trumpet Trio (Sam Carlisle, Iris Wiley, Weylon Adams): Superior rating
- Deer Park Woodwind Quartet (Caroline Vidourek, Elena Morales, Henry Lipps, Jadyn Steely): Excellent rating
Parents of Students in Grades 9, 10 & 11
Planning for the scheduling process for the 2023-2024 school year is underway. It is important that you and your student understand the different pathways for graduation and what classes they need to stay on track. Make sure you read the counselor's corner each week to stay on top of all scheduling information. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Spelic or Ms. Madden.
Check out important info from the guidance office by clicking the link below.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar:
- Boys 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Mariemont: Monday, Jan. 30 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Boys JV/Varsity Basketball vs. Madeira: Tuesday, Jan. 31 | 6/7:30 p.m.
- Girls 7th/8th Grade Basketball vs. Madeira: Wednesday, Feb. 1 | 4:30/5:30 p.m.
- Co-Ed Bowling at Madison Bowl (Senior Night): Thursday, Feb. 2 | 4:00 p.m.
- Boys JV/Varsity Basketball vs. Indian Hill: Friday, Feb. 3 | 6/7:30 p.m.
- Boys Basketball vs. Finneytown (Senior Night | BB, Wrestling, Dance, Cheer, Bowling): Friday, Feb. 10 | 7:30 PM
- Teacher PD Day (No School for Students): Friday, Feb. 17
- Presidents Day (No School for Students): Monday, Feb. 20
In Case You Missed It
AS A REMINDER….
Students are not allowed to use their own devices (laptops/tablets) at School. Please review our Acceptable Use Policy with your Student.
(Excerpt from the Student Handbook)
DEER PARK STUDENT NETWORK AND INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
- Use of the internet is a privilege, not a right. The Board’s Internet connection is provided for educational purposes only. Unauthorized and inappropriate use may result in disciplinary action and a cancellation of this privilege. To Access email and/or the Internet at school, students under the age of eighteen (18) must obtain parent permission by returning the form that was sent home at the beginning of the year. Students eighteen (18) or over may sign their own forms.
- Users may not damage, destroy or deface computers or other technology tools.
- Users may not share usernames or passwords or attempt to impersonate another user.
- Users may not use threats, coercion or intimidation via electronic messaging.
- Users may not use profanity, vulgarities, racial slurs or any other inappropriate language.
- Users may not download or install software of any kind, including freeware or shareware without prior consent of the technical staff.
Users may not use personal devices at school without prior consent of the administration.
2nd Quarter Honor Roll
Congratulations to all of our 2nd Quarter Honor Roll Students. We are very proud of all the hard work our students put in to excel in their academics. Great job of representing The Park!
View the Honor Roll
OMEA Honor Band Festival
Last weekend, over 180 of Cincy's finest musicians gathered at Princeton Varsity Village for the 2023 OMEA district 14 Honors Band Festival. Deer Park was very well-represented, sending the most students from our school in more than 30 years!
Students prepared music over an intense, short timeline, with guest conductors from across the Midwest, culminating in a concert Sunday afternoon.
Congratulations go to the following fine musicians for their talent and commitment to the Fine Arts:In grade 8: Ella Corum and Abby Spangler In grade 7: Finn Borer, Johnny Felix, Riley Miller, and Savannah Brookbank. Deer Park is PROUD of you!
- Need some extra math help? The math department is available for support M-W after school:
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Need other academic help after school? We have homework club after school M-F from 3-4 p.m. at these days/locations:
- Wednesday: Ms. Troxell, Rm 58
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Wednesday: Mr. Moore, Rm 155
- Thursday: Ms. Taylor, Rm 252
- Need some academic help? Morning Intervention is available all year for students to come in for extra help from teachers on Thursdays at 7:35am. Students also have a daily “extra help” bell during the day to meet with their teachers.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the links below for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Newsletters: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Wildcat Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
- Instagram: follow us at DPHS Principals
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success