Deer Park Jr/Sr High School Wildcat Weekly: March 12, 2023
A Message from the Principal
Hello Deer Park Families!
As we get ready for the 4th quarter, it might be a good idea to talk with your kids about not letting up academically. We have had a great school year but it is not over yet.
High school students need to make sure they finish strong to get their credits and to get ready for their End of Course Exams. Jr High students are set to prepare for state testing and finishing strong in their classes. Please remind them also that they have to pass the 4th quarter to be eligible for athletics in the fall.
There is a lot going on this week and this spring so make sure and check out all the important information below.
Have a great week everyone and GO CATS!!
John Vander Meer
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Students in Mr. Maher’s AP US History class are moving their studies to the Cold War era. This past week, students were introduced to the domestic side of the Cold War and the larger theme of the US federal government’s relationship with its citizens. One of the keys to understanding the events and motives of the past is to connect them to students’ own lived experiences. Accordingly, beginning with Cold War era duck and cover drills, to the Terror Alert Warning System in the aftermath of 9/11, to the most recent COVID policies, Mr. Maher has his students investigating the continuity and change of federal government policies aimed at protecting the American people.
The AP US History students began their learning with an image analysis lesson. Mr. Maher displayed an image of a family in a bomb shelter. Students then worked through a sequential analysis by writing what they see, what they think, and what they wonder. Students successfully placed the image in a time period and ventured into the realm of the various explanations of the image as they sought a deeper historical understanding. Mr. Maher then guided the students in an exercise aimed at identifying the values portrayed in the image, the identities the image most represented, and what actions Americans and government might be called to take. It was a fun lesson where students took the lead in the sometimes difficult process of creative thinking and connecting the past to the present.
9th Grade Field Trip
The Freshman had a great field trip this week to learn about a local college (Cincinnati State) and to explore careers at the JA Inspire to Hire Career Fair. Go to the Counselor's Corner to view more photos from that day!
ACT SCHEDULE: March 14th
Our juniors (all juniors, including students at Discovery and the Oaks) will take the ACT on Tuesday, March 14th at Deer Park Jr/Sr High School. To help accommodate for the number of teacher proctors needed this year, we are going to have our 9th, 10th, and 12th grade students have a late start that day. All 7th and 8th graders will come to school as normal that day. A couple other details:
- 9th, 10th, and 12th grade students will be let into the building at 12:15. Students will only be able to enter through the front entrance.
- Students with 5A lunch will go to their lockers and then can report to lunch at 12:25, students with 5B lunch will go to their lockers and then report to class by 12:25. 5B lunch students will eat lunch at 12:55 p.m. (your child should know which lunch he/she/they have).
9th, 10th, and 12th grade students will follow their daily schedule once they come in, and here is a link to our daily bell schedule.
Check out important info from the guidance office by clicking the link below.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar:
- Baseball Home Opener vs. Winton Woods: Saturday, March 25 | Noon
- Softball Home Opener vs. Purcell Marian: Wednesday, March 29 | 5 p.m.
- DP Marching Wildcats in Opening Day Parade: Thursday, March 30
- Spring Break: April 3-7
- Junior High Run in the Park: Tuesday, April 18
- High School Run in the Park: Wednesday, April 19
- 77th Annual Parkers: Friday, April 28/Saturday, April 29, 2023
In Case You Missed It
Spring End of Course Assessments
Spring End of Course assessments are coming up soon in April, following spring break. Next week, if your high school son/daughter needs to complete any make-up assessments for graduation requirements, you will be receiving a letter in the mail. Your son/daughter will also get a hard copy of the letter from their teacher. This test retake may be in addition to any other required tests they may need to take in current classes.
More information about dates and schedules for End of Course assessments will be shared as the date gets closer. Thanks!
Student ½ Day March 30th
Have you heard? The Deer Park High School Marching Wildcats have been invited to play in the annual Cincinnati Reds Opening Day Parade! In an effort to provide the opportunities for students, staff, and families to be part of the festivities, we will have a half day for students and staff on Thursday, March 30. This day will operate just like an end-of-quarter half day. Please contact the front office if you have any questions regarding the half day schedule.
Math Enrichment Opportunity for Students
Parents, Check out this opportunity for FREE academic enrichment for students entering grades 3- 8 in Math, science, language arts, or social studies. The programming is provided virtually through Bowling Green State University by undergraduate and graduate students as part of their educational program. See this website link for more information.
- Need some extra math help? The math department is available for support M-W after school:
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Need other academic help after school? We have homework club after school M-F from 3-4 p.m. at these days/locations:
- Wednesday: Ms. Troxell, Rm 58
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Wednesday: Mr. Moore, Rm 155
- Thursday: Ms. Taylor, Rm 252
- Need some academic help? Morning Intervention is available all year for students to come in for extra help from teachers on Thursdays at 7:35am. Students also have a daily “extra help” bell during the day to meet with their teachers.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the links below for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Newsletters: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Wildcat Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
- Instagram: follow us at DPHS Principals
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success