Deer Park Jr/Sr High School Wildcat Weekly: March 5, 2023
A Message from the Principal
Hello Deer Park Families!
March is here and, all of a sudden, we are getting ready to end the third quarter and begin the final quarter of the school year. I want to thank all of you that came to our parent-teacher conferences Thursday and Friday. We had a great turnout!
As we get ready for the 4th quarter I am so excited to celebrate our seniors and all of the great things that spring has for our students.
John Vander Meer
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Governor Mike DeWine has proclaimed March Arts Education in Schools Month. This week, we want to honor Amber Landers and her amazing art students.
Each student has their own story to tell, and through the Deer Park visual art program, students are given the opportunity to share it.
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High school offers seven different art courses with a variety of mediums and materials. Through these courses, students develop social-emotional skills, creative and critical problem-solving capabilities, and of course technical art-making prowess. The self-expression collage, gratitude doodle project, and the cultural heritage ceramic vessel are just a few of the projects that zero in on these skills. In a snapshot, here are some of the other mediums students can explore through the art program: printmaking, scratch art, tye-dye, needle felting, landscape painting, jewelry making, cardboard sculpture, throwing on the wheel, weaving, traditional drawing skills, and much more.
On any given day in the art room, you are likely to see students painting stories, doodling their thoughts, or collaborating on how to better solve an artistic problem. Our visual arts program aspires to brighten the hallways and develop colorfully diverse, and holistically educated students.
ACT SCHEDULE: March 14th
Our juniors (all juniors, including students at Discovery and the Oaks) will take the ACT on Tuesday, March 14th at Deer Park Jr/Sr High School. To help accommodate for the number of teacher proctors needed this year, we are going to have our 9th, 10th, and 12th grade students have a late start that day. All 7th and 8th graders will come to school as normal that day. A couple other details:
9th, 10th, and 12th grade students will be let into the building at 12:15. Students will only be able to enter through the front entrance.
Students with 5A lunch will go to their lockers and then can report to lunch at 12:25, students with 5B lunch will go to their lockers and then report to class by 12:25. 5B lunch students will eat lunch at 12:55 p.m. (your child should know which lunch he/she/they have).
9th, 10th, and 12th grade students will follow their daily schedule once they come in, and Here is a link to our daily bell schedule.
Baseball Spirit Wear On Sale
The Deer Park baseball team is hosting a fundraiser from now until March 8. Ordering is simple:
- View, order, and pay for spirit wear online here: https://bit.ly/3tAh3uK
- For orders, list TEAM as "Baseball", and for NAME OF ATHLETE FOR DELIVERY list your own name.
- Choose pickup from the Deer Park Baseball team (orders will be delivered to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School) or have your items shipped directly to you.
- Orders are due by Wednesday, March 8.
- When the items are ready, you will receive an email communicating the availability of the orders and pick up times and locations.
The Deer Park baseball team receives 10 percent of all sales! We appreciate your support of Deer Park baseball!
Attention current 7th graders (and families): DATE CHANGE
Due to the concert on Tuesday, the virtual DC meeting will be Wednesday March 8th at 7:00PM .
To join the video meeting, click this link: Click Here!
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 385-404-0899 and enter this PIN: 906 493 002#
Please contact Katie Estep with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out important info from the guidance office by clicking the link below.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar:
- High School Choir Concert: Tuesday, March 7 | 7 p.m.
- Junior High Band/Choir Concert: Thursday, March 9 | 7 p.m. (7th Grade), 8:15 p.m. (8th Grade)
In Case You Missed It
Spring End of Course Assessments
Spring End of Course assessments are coming up soon in April, following spring break. Next week, if your high school son/daughter needs to complete any make-up assessments for graduation requirements, you will be receiving a letter in the mail. Your son/daughter will also get a hard copy of the letter from their teacher. This test retake may be in addition to any other required tests they may need to take in current classes.
More information about dates and schedules for End of Course assessments will be shared as the date gets closer. Thanks!
Student ½ Day March 30th
Have you heard? The Deer Park High School Marching Wildcats have been invited to play in the annual Cincinnati Reds Opening Day Parade! In an effort to provide the opportunities for students, staff, and families to be part of the festivities, we will have a half day for students and staff on Thursday, March 30. This day will operate just like an end-of-quarter half day. Please contact the front office if you have any questions regarding the half day schedule.
Attention Deer Park juniors (including students attending the Oaks): SAVE THE DATE!
Deer Park High School will be holding our ACT testing for all Deer Park juniors on March 14th. There will be an adjusted schedule that day.
Junior high students will report at regular time, but grades 9, 10, and 12 will have a late arrival, details to follow.
Math Enrichment Opportunity for Students
Parents, Check out this opportunity for FREE academic enrichment for students entering grades 3- 8 in Math, science, language arts, or social studies. The programming is provided virtually through Bowling Green State University by undergraduate and graduate students as part of their educational program. See this website link for more information.
- Need some extra math help? The math department is available for support M-W after school:
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Need other academic help after school? We have homework club after school M-F from 3-4 p.m. at these days/locations:
- Wednesday: Ms. Troxell, Rm 58
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Wednesday: Mr. Moore, Rm 155
- Thursday: Ms. Taylor, Rm 252
- Need some academic help? Morning Intervention is available all year for students to come in for extra help from teachers on Thursdays at 7:35am. Students also have a daily “extra help” bell during the day to meet with their teachers.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the links below for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Newsletters: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Wildcat Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
- Instagram: follow us at DPHS Principals
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success