Deer Park Jr/Sr High School Wildcat Weekly: November 20, 2022
A Message from the Principal
Hello Deer Park Families! Happy Sunday!
As we head into Thanksgiving week, I am so thankful for our staff and students at Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. As a community, we are blessed with the very best educators out there, who love our kids and are always going above and beyond for our students. I am also very thankful for our families. The support that you give us, and more importantly our students, is very much appreciated! I hope each and everyone of you have a great Thanksgiving break!
John Vander Meer
Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
This past Friday, our Juniors and Seniors had the opportunity to visit Xavier University. It was the first time in five years that we were able to provide this type of field trip. Later in the day, I was speaking with a member of the senior class, along with a freshman, and had a very intriguing conversation. The freshman mentioned that he was not even thinking about college yet and the senior responded they used to think that way, however, following the trip on Friday, wished they had begun thinking about college much earlier. The senior added the freshman really should start thinking about it now! We have extremely wise students. This was education at its best!
Next Coffee With the Administrators | December 7 at 6 p.m. (Sponsored by Noodles & Company and Deer Park PTO)
We had a great conversation at our last “Coffee with the Administrators” on building safety this past week. Our next meeting will be on December 7th at 6:00 p.m. and could be one of the most important meetings you could go to this year. We will be talking about keeping our kids safe in this world of social media, apps, internet and cell phones. Stephan Smith from A Wired Family will be here to talk with us. He will be featured on Local 12 news in the upcoming months and has spoken to 1000’s of students and parents on this topic. I have had the pleasure of working with Stephan over the last 15 years and he is the only adult I know that knows more about the internet, social media and apps than our kids do.
If you feel inadequate at times, like I do about really knowing what kids are doing, how to manage all of this and keeping your kids safe, this is one meeting you do not want to miss. Noodles & Company will also be providing a meal on a first come, first serve basis until it is gone.
1st Quarter Honor Roll
Congratulations to all of our 1st Quarter Honor Roll Students. We are very proud of all the hard work our students put in to excel in their academics. Great job of representing The Park!
Sophomore Pre-ACT Scores
Parents/guardians of sophomores who completed the Pre-ACT, student scores have come back. Their teachers will be passing back their paperwork from the ACT company sharing what their scores were for each section, and how to interpret the score. Expect your student to bring that home by Friday.
Check out important info from the guidance office by clicking the link below.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar:
- Thanksgiving Break (No School): Nov. 24-26
- High School Choir Holiday Concert: Tuesday, Dec. 6 | 7:30 PM
- Junior High Holiday Concert: Thursday, Dec. 8 | 7 PM
- High School Band Holiday Concert: Tuesday, Dec. 13 | 7:30 PM
In Case You Missed It
Class of 2023 Yearbook and Composite Information
Seniors only: See attached flier for more information regarding yearbooks and class composites.
Sandy’s Closet Donations
Deer Park Schools owes a big thank you to our community for supporting Sandy’s Closet this past spring and summer. The clothing room has seen a significant increase in family use since the beginning of this school year. Your donations have been greatly appreciated by our shoppers.
As you begin to change over your own children’s clothing for fall and winter, please keep us in mind for any clothing your children can no longer wear that you are looking to donate. We accept gently used children’s clothing, shoes, boots, coats etc. - sizes infant through clothing appropriate for our high school students.
Donations can be dropped off at the front desk of the Holmes Building M-F from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are grateful for your continued support of our families.
Smile Program Coming to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School
Great news! Deer Park Community City Schools has again partnered with the Smile Programs…the mobile dentists to offer in-school dental care!
The mobile dentist will be coming to both Amity Elementary and the Jr./Sr. High School on:
- Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School: Tuesday, November 29
Lunch Charge Policy
This is a reminder to parents that once a student reaches $30 of charges on their account, they will be provided with a minimal lunch which includes a peanut butter sandwich (or equivalent for those with allergies), a fruit, a vegetable, and a milk. Once they pay their charges, students can resume purchasing a lunch of their choice. For questions on your student's lunch charges, contact the main office.
New Crisis Lifeline
If you haven’t heard, the new suicide and crisis lifeline is 988. You can also text 988 or chat at 988lifeline.org
For more information about this new system, please click the attached link to go to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Need some extra math help? The math department is available for support M-W after school:
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Need other academic help after school? We have homework club after school M-F from 3-4 p.m. at these days/locations:
- Wednesday: Ms. Troxell, Rm 58
- Monday: Mr. Marsh, Rm 157
- Tuesday: Mrs. Deller, Rm 226
- Wednesday: Mr. Moore, Rm 155
- Thursday: Ms. Taylor, Rm 252
- Need some academic help? Morning Intervention is available all year for students to come in for extra help from teachers on Thursdays at 7:35am. Students also have a daily “extra help” bell during the day to meet with their teachers.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School. Please see the links below for ways to stay connected through Email, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Newsletters: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Wildcat Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Jr./Sr. High School for the most up-to-date news and happenings! @DeerParkHS, @DeerParkSchools and @dpcounselor.
- Facebook: follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools and Deer Park Jr/Sr High School
- Instagram: follow us at DPHS Principals
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success