The Amity Weekly Minute: January 15, 2023
From the Desk of Mr. Drouhard
Dear Amity Families,
We had an amazing spelling bee this past Tuesday at Amity! I’d like to congratulate all of the participants in this event. It takes a lot of courage to get up in front of peers and spell some pretty complicated words!
A special congratulations goes out to Grady Kloesz, our Amity Spelling Bee Champion! Grady claimed the crown by spelling “engagement”. Congratulations as well to Ethan Turner who was our runner up this year! Grady will advance to an online competition in February with the top 20 spellers advancing to the WCPO Regional Spelling Bee. We wish him the best of luck in this next round!
Weekly Photo Gallery
Click the link below to access photos from all around Amity Elementary during the week!
No School- Monday, January 16th
Just a reminder there will not be school on Monday, January 16th in observance of Martin Luther King day.
STEAM Night- PTO Spirit Wear and Evan McPherson Football Raffle
As part of our STEAM Night festivities, the PTO will be selling spirit wear and raffling off an Evan McPherson autographed football. Each ticket will cost $1 for the football raffle with all proceeds benefiting Amity Elementary.
Our PTO will be hosting a meeting on Wednesday, January 18th at 7:00 PM in the Amity PDC. Please come and join this wonderful organization which supports our students and staff at Amity. The PDC is located next to the library in Amity. Enter the main entrance and go up the staircase to the right upon entering to reach the PDC.
The PTO will be hosting its Daughter Dance on Friday, February 2nd from 7:00-9:00 PM at Amity Elementary. Girls in grades K-6 are invited to bring a special person and dance the night away in the Amity gym. Please click the link below for sign up information.
Refresh On School Arrival and Departure
We have had many new families move into Amity since the start of the year. I just want to take a moment to share our arrival and departure processes to help our new families or for you to review. Please see all the information below. Your help in following these procedures helps in a smooth arrival and dismissal!
Drop Off and Doors Open for Arrivals:
Breakfast: Enter through the open cafeteria door facing Linden Avenue.
Car Riders: Car Riders can enter through either our East entrance which are the main office doors, or through our West entrance off the playground. We recommend kindergarten students be dropped off at the East entrance for easy access to their classrooms.
Walkers: Walkers not attending breakfast can enter through any of our three open doors.
*** We ask that parents say goodbye to their students in the car or at the doors of Amity. We will have plenty of staff members to help get them into their correct classrooms daily. Check in conversations with teachers can be scheduled through email or phone calls to the school.
***1st Grade students will report to the courtyard for the 1st week of school so that teachers can help get them into their classrooms. The courtyard can be accessed by the student by entering the East entrance of the building. If it is raining during the first week, they will report to the gym from the East entrance of the building. ***
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Dismissal
- Kindergarten and 1st grade will be dismissed to the East Parking lot off the main office entrance.
- Car Riders- We ask that parents have a Student Pick-Up Card to help speed car rider pick up. Please remain in your car during pick up and your student will be brought to you.
- Walkers- Parents walking to pick up their students need to wait in the designated walker pick up zones to help ease congestion. Your student will be brought to you in this area.
- Shuttle Riders/Day Care Buses- These students will be taken to designated areas within the building and loaded onto the buses for dismissal.
- All Kindergarten students will be dismissed on the East side of the building. All older siblings will come down to meet them on the East side of the building before departing.
- 1st grade students with an older sibling in grades 2nd-6th will be brought to their older sibling and exit to the west side of the building using the 2nd-6th grade dismissal process described below.
2nd-6th Grade Dismissal
- 2nd-6th Grade walkers and car pick up will be brought to the West side of the building off the playground.
- Car Riders- We ask that parents have a Student Pick-Up Card to help speed car riders pick up. Please remain in your car and pull all the way up to increase the number of cars we can get in our parking lot. Students will be staged by grade in these areas.
- Walkers- Parents walking to pick up their students need to wait in the designated walker pick up zone outside the southwest corner of the building by the big tree. Students will be brought to you in this area.
- Shuttle Riders/Daycare Buses- These students will be taken to designated areas within the building and loaded onto the buses for dismissal.
- In the event of downpour of rain, students will be staged in the gym and called out to the West parking lot. Typically traffic patterns will be followed, but loading will require patience, as the distance students are traveling to get into cars will increase.
January Lunch Menu
Due to supply issues, lunch menu options change frequently based on availability. The most up-to-date menu is below, however, please continue to check the Deer Park Food Services website for the latest information.
Please mark these important dates on your calendar!
- Martin Luther King Day (No School): Monday, Jan. 16
- PTO Meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 18
- Daughter Dance: Friday, Feb. 3
- Amity STEAM Night: Thursday, Feb. 9
In Case You Missed It
Amity will be hosting its annual STEAM night on Thursday, February 9th. STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. It is an educational philosophy that viewing and teaching these disciplines in combinations will lead to innovative thinkers and creators in life. Throughout the building our teachers will be leading our parents and students in a variety of hands-on science experiments. It will be a fun and exciting night! Experiments will run from 6:00-7:00 that night. Our 5th grade will be hosting a musical performance at 7:00 in the gym to conclude the night.
This event is completely free, and we look forward to seeing your family there!
MAP (Measure of Academic Progress) testing in reading, reading fluency and math will start occurring throughout the month of January. We took these tests in the fall as a baseline and will take them in the spring to check progress for the year. This testing will encompass all of our grades at Amity. This is not a high stakes test, like the Ohio State Tests, but we do always want our students to do their best. These online tests allow us to understand where students are currently in the tested subject area, so that we are better able to tailor how we teach them. I just wanted to keep you informed that this will be occurring in our classes.
Recess During Cold Weather
With a return to colder temperatures, please remember to send your child to school with appropriate outdoor attire for recess. We will be going outside whenever the “feels like” temperature is 25 degrees or above. This gives our students time to burn some energy while getting some fresh air. Our recesses are 30 minutes so it is important that our students be comfortable while they are outside.
There are multiple ways to stay connected to Amity Elementary School.
- Newsletter: All parents who have completed FinalForms should receive Amity Weekly Newsletters. If you are not currently receiving them, please register for the e-mail communication. To register, simply go to https://www.deerparkcityschools.org/ and click on the button on the bottom of the page that says “Subscribe to District News”.
- Twitter: Follow Deer Park Schools for the most up-to-date news and happenings at @DeerParkSchools or @DeerParkAmity
- Facebook: Follow us at Deer Park Community City Schools.
Inspiring & Empowering Lifelong Success