Choir is a growing program here at Deer Park, and includes a wide range of students, all with varying degrees of experience in voice. At Deer Park we recognize that chorus is not simply about the talent of one person, but about what we contribute and create as a whole.
Deer Park's vocal music program is designed to teach students increasingly more about music and vocal technique as they progress through elementary, junior high, and high school. As students progress in school and their minds and voices expand, we encourage them to move from simply singing in chorus to learning and developing vocal technique, sight reading skills, and understanding music theory.
Our Choirs welcomes students who simply love to sing, while challenging those who are more dedicated, by offering them opportunities to audition for our select groups such as Show Choir, Jr Show Choir, Womens Glee Club, 7-12th grade district Honor Choir and the Cincinnati Children's Choir. Students also have the opportunity to participate in the OMEA Solo & Ensemble Competition and Large Group Competition.
Regardless of level, our program emphasizes performance skill and love of music. Our instructors try to choose a variety of music, and to make selections that students will love, and ask that singers always be open minded in trying new things.
We are proud to have several Deer Park graduates singing in their church choir as well as singing in the Choirs at Xavier University, Miami University, The University of Cincinnati, and Capital University.
Did you know:
- There are 82 students in the Deer Park High School Choir!
- At the junior high level, over 70 students participate in choir!
- From First Grade to Senior year, music is on the brain! Students at Deer Park have the opportunity to sing and play in the band, choral, and general music programs. You may have had the opportunity to see these performing ensembles in action this month at our March concerts or fine arts night!
- Not only do students involved in a school’s music program tend to be the leaders within the school, but they also tend to achieve higher on standardized tests.
- Music not only impacts academic achievement, but it also shapes the way our students understand themselves and the world around them.
- DPHS graduates have continued to sing in their college ensembles at Capital University, Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music, Miami University, St Xavier University, and Bowling Green State University
- Students in Choir perform all around the Deer Park community and the city of Cincinnati! At various times of the year DP Choirs have sang on Fountain Square, at Union Terminal, PNC Bank Down Town, Carriage Court, Amber Park, at pep assemblies, athletic events, community caroling events and more. One of our major debuts for all three high school Choirs happens each year in Parkers!
- Jr/Sr High Chorale Department
- 1-6 Elementary Music